About Us

History of the Canadian Meat Council

1919

  • Canada’s meat packing industry, mainly Ontario-based firms, agreed an association could better serve the industry.
  • The first official meeting was held October first at the organization’s new offices at 186 King Street West in Toronto with J.S. McLean as the founding President and Samuel E. Todd, formerly Chief Executive Staff Officer of the Canadian Food Board during the war, as Secretary/Managing Director.
  • An official name for the organization was approved: The Industrial and Development Council of Canadian Meat Packers.
  • The primary motivation for staffing an organization was the packer viewpoint that a collective push was needed to encourage farmers to produce better quality livestock.

Charter member companies of the Association:

  • Harris Abattoir Co. Ltd.
  • William Davies Co. Ltd.
  • Swift Canadian Co. Ltd.
  • Gunns Ltd.
  • Canadian Packing Co. Ltd.
  • Puddy’s Ltd.
  • F.W. Fearman Co.
  • Ingersol Packing Co. Ltd.
  • Whyte Packing Co. Ltd.
  • Gallagher-Holman & Lafrance Co. Ltd.
  • Gordon – Fronside and Fares Packers Ltd.
  • Wilson Canadian Co. Ltd.
  • Armour & Co.

1921

  • A fieldman was hired to cover Eastern Canada. In his first year he attended 100 farmers meetings and gave numerous lectures. Thus began the practice of retaining field reps which continued for over 70 years, ending in 1992.

1924

  • Western field office opened in Winnipeg.

1945

  • Eastern field office opened in St. Hyacinthe.

1955

  • Members agreed to change the name of the organization to Meat Packers Council of Canada.

1961

  • Council was incorporated under the laws of Ontario and received its letters patent. Head office moved from downtown Toronto to Islington in the west end of metropolitan Toronto.

1963

  • Membership opened to non-slaughtering meat processors. Initial members in this category were: Hygrade Food Products Inc., S. Coorsh & Sons Ltd., and Shopsy’s Foods Ltd.

1971

  • Toronto head office completely destroyed by fire and all old records and history of the council were lost.

1980

  • Name changed to the Canadian Meat Council.

1981

  • By-laws were amended to permit membership by associate (supplier) and associate (rendering) firms.

1991

  • The Canadian Meat Council and the Canadian Pork Council agreed to launch Canada Pork International, a pork export marketing and promotion organization

1992

  • Council refocused efforts on the federal government and national associations and agencies, eliminated fieldmen, closed two regional offices and made the decision to relocate its head office to Ottawa.

1994

  • Council relocated to Ottawa after almost 75 years in Toronto.

1995

  • Canadian Meat Research Institute, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Canadian Meat Council, incorporated under federal law.

2007

  • By-laws changed to allow all meat processors to be members, not just red meat processors.

2012

  • A new membership category was created to allow retail food service operators to join the Canadian Meat Council.